HVR Agent as a Service for Azure
Realize the full potential of your data
A key promise of the cloud is less mundane software management, more flexibility, and improved operational efficiencies. Rarely do we discuss the time, money, and obstacles it takes to get to that point. Many organizations with most of their critical business data residing in on-premises systems can’t afford to duplicate efforts in the cloud. Also, ever-increasing volumes of diverse and distributed data and incompatibility between systems add to the complexity of cloud adoption. To address these challenges and fulfill the key promises of the cloud, HVR developed HVR Agent as a Service for Azure.
HVR Agent as a Service for Azure, which is available as a Managed Application in the Azure Marketplace, enables small and large organizations to realize the full potential of their data without additional costs or internal resources to manage software components. Plus, with HVR’s dedicated team of professionals who built the Managed Application, it’s easy to get up and running. We implement industry best practices to handle the deployment, which includes: sizing, scalability, high availability, rolling upgrades/software updates, monitoring, and security.
To ensure your environment can achieve the highest performance, we recommend deploying our software in a distributed setup. Use an agent—an installation of our software—as close to the source or target as possible to achieve the following benefits:
- Performance: operating on the data as close as possible to the source or target improves efficiency because of low latency to the endpoint. Filtering data for relevance before replicating also improves efficiency. HVR executables densely compress data before passing it on and only decompress the data before it is applied to the target.
- Scalability: distributing the hard work to agents vastly improves the scalability of the entire solution. This applies not only to the total amount of work that must be performed to—in many cases—consolidate data from multiple systems into a single environment. It also applies to the manageability of the entire solution. Distributed, stateless agents can be made to automatically scale behind a load balancer in a so-called agent farm.
- Security: communication between HVR executables on the wire is unified and can use encryption (TLS 1.3). You may choose to use 2-factor authentication to HVR running on the edge node. Optionally, use a proxy to avoid having to open the firewall directly to the server running the agent.
Who wouldn’t want these benefits?
HVR Agent as a Service for Azure
HVR Agent as a Service for Azure enables customers to take advantage of the benefits of a distributed setup without having to manage software components in the cloud. HVR takes care of installing and managing the software.
We chose to build the service using Azure’s Docker and Kubernetes services. This provides the following customer benefits:
- Automatic scalability: Kubernetes provides a built-in load balancer, and we use directives to scale pods automatically. For example, you may temporarily need more resources to perform the initial load. Surplus resources can be spun down when they are no longer required.
- High availability: the Kubernetes load balancer routes traffic to an available pod.
- Upgrades causing minimal if any downtime: Kubernetes enables rolling upgrades. Through our service, we can upgrade HVR with minimal if any downtime to the replication.
The service also implements security best practices.
- First, the agent runs in your account. We leverage Azure’s Managed Application to control a deployment that runs in your account. This avoids cross-cloud data transfer charges and makes sure you keep control over the data.
- Secondly, communication with the agent is always encrypted. Your unique encryption key is stored in the Azure Key Vault.
- Lastly, we restrict authentication to
- your hub only, and
- with a unique SSL certificate.
The SSL certificate is again stored in your Azure Key Vault.
For more information about how you can simplify cloud adoption by leveraging HVR Agent as a Service for Azure, contact us to learn more.