HVR Release Life Cycle
Support Duration for HVR Releases
- A major HVR release (e.g. HVR 5.0 or 4.6) is supported for 5 years from its General Availability (GA) release date.
- A minor release (e.g. HVR 5.3.0) or an HVR patch (e.g. HVR 5.3.0/1 or HVR 5.3.0/1.1) does not prolong the support duration. For example, if HVR 5.3 will expire at date X then that date will not be extended if HVR 5.3.2 is released a year later.
- HVR offers "extended" support beyond these end of support dates. The duration of extended support is determined on a case-by-case basis.
The following table shows the release and support dates for the most recent major HVR releases:
|HVR Release||GA Release Date||End of Support||Support Status|
|HVR 4.5||2013-11-11||2018-11-11||Support Ended|
|HVR 4.4||2012-07-17||2017-07-17||Support Ended|
|HVR 4.3||2010-05-21||2015-05-21||Support Ended|
Compatibility Between HVR Versions
- All supported HVR releases with the same initial number (e.g. HVR 5) are runtime compatible with each other. For example, if A, B, C and D are different supported HVR versions, then an HVR GUI running version A can be used to connect to a hub machine running version B, which captures from a machine with version C and integrates to a machine with version D.
- HVR versions with the same initial number are runtime compatible with older versions whose major release date was up to 5 years ago (the same as the support duration above), but compatibility with versions older than this is not maintained. For example, HVR 4.7 is runtime compatible with HVR 4.4 but not with HVR 4.3 versions because HVR 4.4 was still supported when HVR 4.7 was released, whereas HVR 4.3 was not.
- When using a mix of HVR versions, note that each bug fix or feature is only effective if the correct machine is upgraded. For example, if a new HVR release fixes an integrate bug, then that release must be installed on the machine(s) which do integrate. So if only the GUI and/or hub machine is upgraded, then there will be no benefit. To decide whether each machine needs to be upgraded, see the descriptions in the release notes (available in HVR_HOME/hvr.rel). Each description ends with a line saying which machine must be upgraded for that specific bug fix or feature to be effective.
Supported Operating System (OS) Releases
- The HVR release notes (available in HVR_HOME/hvr.rel) lists the supported OS versions (such as "Solaris for SPARC, version 9 and higher") for each HVR release.
- HVR only specifies the initial OS version; certification for subsequent OS versions (e.g. Solaris version 10) by HVR is automatic due to OS supplier's own forward compatibility guarantees.
- Once an OS version is supported by HVR, support for that platform will continue until the OS supplier ends its "mainstream support". After that date HVR support goes from "regular" to "Sunset" support, which means that HVR support continues (including new HVR versions for it), but eventually it will be withdrawn without notice.
- A customer may request that HVR makes support for an OS version "extended" instead of "Sunset", which means that support will not be withdrawn as long as the customer continues to share information about the production status of that OS version for the customer.
- A consequence of the end of HVR support is that HVR is no longer able to supply patches for that OS version.
To see which OS releases are supported by HVR, see Platform Compatibility Matrix.
The following table shows the OS suppliers support status of specific OS versions as known by HVR.
|OS Version||Release Date from Supplier||End of Mainstream Support from Supplier||HVR Support Status|
|AIX 7.2||2015-12-01||2018-12-31||Sunset by IBM|
|AIX 6.1||2008-09-12||2017-04-30||Sunset by IBM|
|AIX 5.3||2004-08-13||2012-04-30||Sunset by IBM|
|AIX 5.2||2002-10-18||2009-04-30||Sunset by IBM|
|HPUX Itanium 11.31||2007-01-02||2014-01-12||Sunset by HP|
|HPUX Itanium 11.23||2003-01-10||2010-01-12||Sunset by HP|
|Red Hat 7||2014-06-10||2024-06-10||Regular|
|Red Hat 6||2010-10-11||2020-11-30||Regular|
|Red Hat 5||2007-03-15||2017-03-31||Sunset by RedHat|
|Red Hat 4||2005-02-14||2012-02-29||Sunset by RedHat|
|SUSE ES 12||2014-10-27||2024-10-31||Regular|
|SUSE ES 11||2009-03-24||2019-03-31||Regular|
|SUSE ES 10||2006-06-17||2013-07-31||Sunset by SUSE|
|SUSE ES 9||2004-03-08||2011-08-31||Sunset by SUSE|
|Solaris 10||2005-01-01||2018-01-01||Sunset by Oracle|
|Solaris 9||2002-01-03||2011-01-10||Sunset by Oracle|
|Solaris 8||2000-01-02||2009-01-03||Sunset by Oracle|
|Windows Server 2012||2012-10-30||2018-09-10||Sunset by Microsoft|
|Windows Server 2008||2008-12-29||2015-01-13||Sunset by Microsoft|
|Windows Server 2003||2003-05-28||2010-07-13||Sunset by Microsoft|
|Windows XP||2001-12-31||2009-04-14||Sunset by Microsoft|
|Windows Server 2000||2000-03-31||2005-06-30||Sunset by Microsoft|
Supported DBMS Releases
- The HVR release notes (in $HVR_HOME/hvr.rel) lists the supported DBMS versions (such as "Oracle: version 10.1, 10.2, 11.1 and 11.2") for each HVR release. The list of supported DBMS versions is different for HVR on each OS platform.
- Subsequent major versions of the DBMS (such as "Oracle 12") are not automatically supported, but may be recertified by HVR after QA testing. But patches to a supported DBMS version are automatically supported by HVR (no recertification is done at patch level).
- Once a DBMS version is supported by HVR on a given OS platform, support for that DBMS version will continue at least until the DBMS supplier ends its "mainstream support". After that date HVR support goes from "regular" to "Sunset" support, which means that HVR support continues (including new HVR versions for it), but eventually it will be withdrawn without notice.
- A customer may request that HVR makes support for a DBMS version "extended" instead of "Sunset", which means that support will not be withdrawn as long as the customer continues to share information about the production status of that DBMS version for the customer.
- A consequence of the end of HVR support is that HVR is no longer able to supply patches for that DBMS.
To see which DBMS releases are supported by HVR, see Platform Compatibility Matrix.
The following table shows the DBMS suppliers support status of specific DBMS versions as known by HVR.
|DBMS Version||Release Date from Supplier||End of Mainstream Support from Supplier||HVR Support Status|
|Oracle 12.1||2013-01-06||2018-01-07||Sunset by Oracle|
|Oracle 11.2||2009-01-09||2015-01-01||Sunset by Oracle|
|Oracle 11.1||2007-01-08||2012-01-08||Sunset by Oracle|
|Oracle 10.2||2005-01-07||2010-01-07||Sunset by Oracle|
|Oracle 10.1||2004-01-01||2009-01-01||Sunset by Oracle|
|Oracle 9.2||2002-01-07||2007-01-07||Sunset by Oracle|
|Oracle 8.1||2000-01-09||2004-01-12||Sunset by Oracle|
|Ingres 10.1||2012-05-01||2017-05-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Ingres 10.0||2010-09-01||2016-12-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Ingres 9.2||2008-11-01||2015-12-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Ingres 9.1||2007-03-01||2011-12-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Ingres 9.0||2007-03-01||2011-12-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Ingres 3.0||2004-11-01||2007-12-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Ingres 2.6||2002-05-01||2012-09-31||Sunset by Actian|
|SQL Server 2014||2014-06-05||2019-06-05||Regular|
|SQL Server 2012||2012-05-20||2017-11-07||Sunset by Microsoft|
|SQL Server 2008||2008-11-06||2014-08-07||Sunset by Microsoft|
|SQL Server 2005||2006-01-14||2011-12-04||Sunset by Microsoft|
|DB2 for i 7.2||2014-05-02||Regular|
|DB2 for i 7.1||2010-04-23||Regular|
|DB2 for LUW 11.1||Not Announced||Regular|
|DB2 for LUW 10.5||2013-07-26||Not Announced||Regular|
|DB2 for LUW 10.1||2012-06-11||2017-09-30||Sunset by IBM|
|DB2 for LUW 9.8||2010-01-15||2015-01-05||Sunset by IBM|
|DB2 for LUW 9.7||2010-11-19||2015-01-05||Sunset by IBM|
|DB2 for LUW 9.5||2007-12-14||2014-01-05||Sunset by IBM|
|DB2 for LUW 9.1||2006-06-22||2012-01-05||Sunset by IBM|
|Analytic DBMS Version||Release Date from Supplier||End of Mainstream Support from Supplier||HVR Support Status|
|Actian Vector (Vectorwise) 5.x||2016-06-01||2020-06-30||Regular|
|Actian Vector (Vectorwise) 4.x||2015-03-01||2018-12-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Actian Vector (Vectorwise) 3.5||2014-03-31||2017-03-31||Sunset by Actian|
|Actian Vector (Vectorwise) 3.0||2013-04-15||2016-04-15||Sunset by Actian|
|Actian Vector (Vectorwise) 2.5||2012-06-01||2015-06-01||Sunset by Actian|
|Actian Vector (Vectorwise) 2.0||2011-11-01||2014-11-01||Sunset by Actian|
|Greenplum 4.2||2011-11-28||2015-09-30||Sunset by Pivotal|
|Greenplum 4.0||2010-08-27||2013-11-30||Sunset by Pivotal|
|Teradata 15 & 15.10||Regular|
|Teradata 14 & 14.10||Regular|
|Teradata 13 & 13.10||Regular|